Help Us Find the Next Class of Act Six Scholars
With full scholarships worth up to $245,000 and five years of leadership training, Act Six is a life-changing opportunity. We need your help to find the next class of Act Six scholars. If you are a teacher or counselor, or know high school seniors with leadership potential, you can schedule a virtual presentation for your students, or nominate students who you think should apply.
Students are eligible to apply if they:
- love their community and want to use their college education to make a difference as a leader on campus and at home;
- will graduate from high school in 2022, or previously graduated in 2021 or 2020;
- are not currently enrolled at a four-year college (students at two-year colleges may apply);
- live in one of our seven Act Six program sites; and
- want to attend at least one of the Act Six partner colleges in their program site.
While ethnicity and family income are considered as factors in selecting an intentionally diverse group of scholars, there are no income restrictions, and students from all racial and ethnic backgrounds are encouraged to apply.
There is no minimum GPA requirement and admissions standards vary across our partner colleges. In general, applicants with a GPA below 3.0 will need to demonstrate their readiness for academic success in college through their recommendations, essays and/or test scores.
Every year Act Six recruits diverse, multicultural cadres of a region’s most promising emerging urban and community leaders. The Initiative seeks young people who want to use their college education to make a difference on campus and in their communities at home. Act Six scholars must be:
- committed to anti-racism and compelled to work for justice and equity,
- passionate about learning,
- eager to foster intercultural relationships,
- willing to step out of their comfort zones,
- committed to serving those around them, and
- ready to make a difference on campus and at home.
The selection process also places high value on applicants’ teamwork, critical thinking, communication skills and academic potential.
Selecting Act Six scholars is a complex and multi-faceted process that considers many factors. The selection committees use the following questions to guide their evaluation of Act Six applicants. These questions best summarize what we are looking for in Act Six scholars.
- To what extent will the student contribute to the racial, economic, and experiential diversity of an Act Six cadre?
- To what extent is the student prepared to succeed and thrive academically at the selected college?
- To what extent will the selected college be a good fit for this student?
- To what extent will the student eagerly engage in a year-long exploration and discussion of Christian perspectives on leadership, diversity, and social justice?
- To what extent does the student understand and desire to advance the stated mission of the selected college?
- To what extent will the student be a service-minded leader and an agent of transformation on the college campus?
- To what extent will the student be committed to serving others and to what extent will s/he view the Act Six initiative as an opportunity to reach out to those around them?
- To what extent will the student be committed to and effective in fostering intercultural communication and acting as an agent for social change on the college campus?
- To what extent does the student see a sense of purpose in their participation in the Act Six Initiative?
- To what extent will attending the selected college and participating in the Initiative align with and/or transform the student’s goals and vision for their life?
- To what extent will the student be able and willing to persevere through hardship? How resilient are they to the challenges and struggles that life brings?
- To what extent does the student possess a depth and strength of character that will serve to encourage, support, and empower those around them?
Schedule a Presentation
Invite Act Six to Present to Your School or Organization
If you would like to arrange an in-person or virtual presentation for a group of potential applicants or community members at your school, church or organization to learn more about Act Six, please complete the form below. A staff member will follow-up with you to schedule a presentation.
NOMINATE A STUDENT
TELL US ABOUT AN EMERGING URBAN LEADER WHO SHOULD APPLY
If you are an adult in the community, you can complete this form to nominate a student for Act Six. We will reach out to congratulate the student on their nomination and encourage the nominee to apply. We’ll also keep you up-to-date with the latest Act Six information, so you can follow-up to ensure your nominee completes the application by the November 30 deadline.